Slowly, softly, gently, quietly…this banana pudding cream cake will take your breath away! That’s why I called it despacito! Very popular word these days – you got to admit! And am definitely sure that this cake will become popular dessert in your house as well! It is so rich and creamy, with a great banana flavor and flawless texture. Ideal for birthday parties and banana lovers. Here is the recipe:
For the cake layers:
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 85 grams (6 tablespoons) sour cream
- 155 grams (3/4 cups) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites (at room temperature)
- 160 grams (1 ¼ cups) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 90 ml (6 tablespoons) milk
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) water
For the banana cream:
- 4 oz. package dry banana cream instant pudding mix
- 3/4 cup milk
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) sugar
- 550 ml (2 ¼ cups) cold heavy cream
- 2 large bananas, chopped
- A few drops yellow food coloring (optional)
For the white chocolate ganache:
- 200 grams’ white chocolate
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- tablespoon honey
To make the cake layers:
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Prepare an 8-inch square cake pan with a parchment paper circle in the bottom; grease the sides.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, around 3 to 4 minutes. Don’t skimp on the mixing time.
- Apply sour cream and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Place egg whites in two batches, beating until well combined after each.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients, then pour the water and milk in a small measuring cup.
- Place half of the dry ingredients to the batter and beat until well incorporated. Apply the milk mixture and combine until well incorporated. Put remaining dry ingredients and beat until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for around 30 minutes, or until a tester comes out with a few crumbs. Remove the cake from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack in order to cool completely. In the meantime, prepare the banana cream.
To make the banana cream:
- In a small bowl, add the chopped bananas and blend them with a hand blender. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the pudding mix and milk and beat until well combined and smooth. In a separate large mixing bowl, add the heavy cream and sugar and mix just until creamy.
- Then, add the pudding and milk mix and yellow food coloring (if using) and beat to combine.
- Next, add the blended bananas and mix to incorporate.
- Finally add the whole hazelnuts (if using), gently combine with a spoon and set aside.
- Gently cut the cake in half in order to get 2 cake layers. Place one cake layer into the bottom of a square cake plate. Spread the banana cream mixture evenly over the cake layer. Top the cream layer with the other layer of cake. Place the cake in the freezer for 1 hour.
To make the white chocolate ganache:
- Break the white chocolate into pieces and add in a pan. Pour the heavy cream and add 1 tablespoon honey. Heat over a low heat until melted and combined.
- Remove the cake from the freezer and immediately spread the hot ganache over the cake. Freeze the cake again until firm, 3-4 hours.
- Remove from the freezer 1 hour before serving.
- Slice and serve. After that, you can keep the leftovers in a refrigerator for a few days or in a fridge for 2 weeks.