These sweet, easy mini crostatas are so delicious and beautiful! Crostata is a popular Italian pie that is very similar to tart. You can serve these cute mini crostatas for many special occasions, like holidays or parties. Here is the recipe:
For the pastry:
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, cold
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
For the filling:
- around 200 grams Nutella hazelnut spread or jam
- mini tart pans
To make the pastry:
- In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center and add the egg and lemon zest. Combine to get a crumbly mix; place the butter. Combine well until the dough comes together. Form a ball and wrap in cling film. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4.
To make the mini crostatas:
- Remove the pastry from the freezer and roll it on a dusted surface until it’s one millimeter thick. Using a wide glass, cut the pastry into circles enough to fit your tartlet pans. Apply in the pans and press the dough evenly into the small tart pans.
- Then, spread 2-3 tablespoons of Nutella (or other hazelnut spread, or jam) in each pastry dough in the pans.
- With the remaining dough, cut tiny strips and create a lattice on the tarts. Whisk the remaining egg and spread it over the exposed pastry.
- Place in the oven and bake for around 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely in the pans.
- In the end, remove the mini crostatas from the tart pans and serve.