Flawless, smooth-as-silk, deep dark chocolate cake with vanilla Irish cream filling and chocolate ganache is one of the best desserts that I’ve ever tried! Moreover, it is very simple and easy to prepare – you will love it! It will take you 10 minutes to prepare it, plus around 30 minutes to cook – isn’t it amazing?! Try the following recipe:
For the dark chocolate cake layers:
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk powder, sifted
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups hot black coffee brewed strong
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
For the vanilla Irish cream filling:
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup Bailey’s Vanilla Irish Cream liqueur (or the classic one)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups salted butter cut into cubes and brought to room temperature
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ tablespoon vanilla instant pudding powder
- For the chocolate ganache:
- 4 oz. (1 stick) cool butter, cubed
- 3 ½ oz. finely chopped dark chocolate
To make the chocolate cake layers:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/ 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Butter two 8 x 8 x 1.5 inch (20 x 20 x 4 cm) square baking pans (or if you prefer circle form: two 8 x 2 inch (20 x 5 cm) round baking pans). Apply a piece of waxed or parchment paper on the bottom of each pan. Then, butter and dust the pans with 2-3 tablespoons of cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients for the cake. In another bowl. Mix the vegetable oil and prepared coffee together, then apply into the dry ingredients mixture. Using an electric mixer, beat all together on low speed.
- Next, whisk in the vanilla extract, the eggs, and egg yolk. Continue beating on low speed until you get a smooth and well-combined
- Divide the batter evenly between the 2 pans. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the baking pans and a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven; let the cakes cool for 20 minutes.
- Then, run a butter knife around the pans to loosen the cake. Slowly invert onto a surface and allow to cool completely. In the meantime, prepare the Vanilla Irish Cream filling.
To make the vanilla Irish cream filling:
- First, sift the confectioner’s sugar in order to remove any lumps. Then, apply the sugar into a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, pour the Bailey’s Vanilla Irish Cream and heat over a medium heat; bring to boil and immediately remove from the heat.
- Carefully apply the hot Irish cream in the mixing bowl with stiffed sugar. Beat on low speed for 1 minute then increase the speed to medium and continue beating for 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and you get a nice and smooth mixture.
- Apply the vanilla extract and butter. Whisk until creamy and well blended, then put the vanilla pudding powder and the heavy cream; beat on medium-high speed until the mixture is fluffy and light.
- Trim the cakes as necessary to make them level.
- Next, gently apply the cake on the cake plate. Apply and spread the filling over the cake. Sandwich with the remaining layer. Press gently.
- Refrigerate the cake for 15 minutes to set a little bit.
To make the chocolate ganache:
- In a heavy saucepan, apply the butter and chopped chocolate. Place over low heat and stir until melted and smooth.
- Remove the cake from the fridge and spread the chocolate ganache over it. Refrigerate again for 30 minutes to firm. Slice and serve.