A smooth chocolate mousse with a splash of Frangelico liqueur is all you need when you feel down – you’ll feel better right away, trust me! I like spring but this morning I was quite moody when I woke up.. just like that! So, when I got back from the office I made myself this Frangelico dark chocolate mousse dessert and the mmm…the sun was shining again! Here is the recipe:
- 6 medium egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 ounces dark chocolate (72% +), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Frangelico hazelnut liqueur (you can replace the alcohol with ½ cup water for children and non-drinkers)
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- Beat the sugar and eggs together in a heat safe bowl until you get a light mixture. Place over a double boiler. Whip until slightly thickened.
- Next, pour the Frangelico (or water) and continue to beat over the simmering water until the blend hits approximately 160°F/ 70°C and coats the back of a spoon.
- Then, remove from heat. Put the chopped chocolate and stir until the arm cramps or the mix becomes cool to the touch, either comes 1st (approximately 10 minutes).
- Leave the chocolate aside and whisk the heavy cream to soft peaks. Fold it into the chocolate, combine and cover. Place this mixture in the fridge and chill for about 4 hours.
- You can serve in demitasse cups with a dollop of whipped cream and espresso spoons, sprinkled with some finely grated dark chocolate (optional).